CAYMAN SALVAGE MASTER

(Underwater images courtesy of SeaWolf Productions)

The Cayman Salvage Master was originally a 163 foot US Army minelayer built in 1937. In 1965 she was converted to a research vessel and renamed the F. V. Hunt for Dr. Frederick V. Hunt an acoustical researcher. At one time used as a work platform during Mel Fisher’s search for the Atocha, she was finally left abandoned in the Port of Key West, were she sank at the Truman Annex Naval pier. When renovations to the port facilities began the Cayman Salvage Master was towed out beyond the reef and sunk in a sandy area in 90 fsw. Through the years, various hurricanes have laid her over and then re-righted her, but still leaving her a frequented dive site. Her most unusual features are the hull mounted bow thruster and wheel-like bow sheaves, once used to service anti-ship mines. Schools of Goliath grouper can be seen by divers who arrive early in the day.


view of starboard bow (l); cable pulley on bow (r)


view of bow and anchor tackle (l); bow thruster (r)


resident jewfish (l); view of the main deck (r)

MORE WRECKS